This is a lovely soup to serve prior to the Thanksgiving meal. It is also a wonderful comfort soup for a cold winter night. It is easy to prepare, high in fiber and vitamins it is a perfect diabetic friendly/family friendly soup with a slight sweet yet savory taste.
- 2 ½ cups water
- ¼ cup powdered chicken broth/or canned low sodium.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ tsp dried thyme, crushed
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
- zest of one lemon
- 2 cups - half and half
- Fresh ground nutmeg to taste
Pour mixture back into the pot and add the half-and-half, and fresh ground nutmeg. Heat through and serve.